Sunday, February 24, 2013

A Song for All Seasons



Today, I couldn’t wait to get to church, since I had to sing at the ten o’clock service. Music is such an amazing thing- it takes all of us places we never could have imagined getting to by ourselves. My friend Amy and I got out of our cars, anxious and excited to start rehearsing.

And, suddenly, I noticed the beauty of the day. While Saturday had been cold and rainy, Sunday was warm and sunny. The sun beamed on me, and the clouds produced just enough shade so that the weather was enjoyable, not frigid. No matter what challenges the day would bring, I had a feeling that something was going to be great. It seemed like this whole day had been made just for me.

Then I remembered: it was.

I had been put on this earth for a specific reason: to find my purpose. To help me do that, all of these fantastic things had been put on earth with me: art, architecture, great literature, archaeology, quantum particles, supernovas, hypotenuses, the outdoors, and music, just to name a few. More importantly, I knew so many people who had taken both paths, worn equally and the same, and who could help me find my way.

Seeing the flawless weather, I realized how people in my life that wanted me to succeed. My mom and I can talk about anything, and she has always encouraged me in everything that I choose to do. I have an awesome dad, who makes me smile on a bad day and is also very honest, which has helped me make a lot of the decisions of my life. During the week, my favorite part of my day is my drive home, when I round up my sisters and they tell me about their day. They mean so much to me. I wouldn’t trade them for the world.

I also remembered my great group of friends, all of whom have taught me things too numerous to count. My friend Lindsay makes me laugh more than anyone else. I’ve known my friend Bear (long story) for eight years, and he not only has incredible penmanship, he also makes a flawless pumpkin chocolate chip cookie. Just thinking about it makes me hungry.

Remembering all of this reminded me of all the great things in my life, and how stress about giving a perfect performance was distracting me from that. Music is meant to show us the beauty of the gift itself- which in turn makes us love it more.

After all, seizing the day with joy and excitement- that’s a song for all seasons.









1 comment:

  1. Sounds like quite the epiphany!

    And WHERE has Bear been hiding his pumpkin chocolate chip cookies all year???

    ReplyDelete