Monday, April 15, 2013

Consistent Tones or Constant Drones?



"Cosette, I don't know what to say."
"Then make no sound."
 ~ Les Miserables

Ursula Franklin, the first female professor of metallurgy and materials science at the University of Toronto, wrote an article called "Silence and the Notion of the Commons," talking about the changes technology has brought about to society (if you had to look up the word "metallurgy," no judgement- I did too).

To put it simply, she believes that background noise prevents great experiences from taking place. Franklin clarifies that to be silent allows unforeseen, unforeseeable, and unprogrammed things to happen (Franklin 643). This is why church has moments of silence, she points out. The congregation needs it to hear the voice of God.

I don't doubt any of these things. In fact, I agree with them. Being still, being by ourselves, completely uninhibited of others' thoughts of us... these are things that should be treasured and enjoyed. I feel so free when I'm by myself, just reading or sitting still, because silence can provide an overwhelming sense of peace.

But I don't think that background noise is a terrible thing. I like it. In grocery stores, or when I'm shopping, I enjoy listening to the music playing in the background. In movies, background music add to the story, particularly in a little gem called Almost Famous. There's a great scene in it where William Miller runs through the street to find Penny Lane- and "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" is playing in the background. That song completely sums up the scene, and breaks my heart every single time. It's so sorrowful, and very truthful, which makes it all the harder and more important to hear. If the movie had been made without music,  it would have definitely suffered.

I'm not saying that I don't have moments where I wish the music could be off (after hearing "Witchy Woman" several times in a row at a restaurant, my family and I are in agreement of that). As I've said, silence is good for us. It puts things in perspective. It takes its time. There's a reason 70% of communication is nonverbal- silence says everything for us.

Referring back to my quote at the beginning, I think Cosette had it right. Sometimes all we need is a little silence to clear our thoughts and get us where we need to go.

Let's not give up the background entirely, though.

You never know when you'll need Elton John to narrate your life experiences through song.



No comments:

Post a Comment